Sunday, October 4, 2009

Nice Fall Recipe

I made some wonderful apple butter last week and had a couple of Granny Smith's left over. A friend of mine remarked how she liked "fried" apples, and I decided this afternoon that it sounded wonderful. I took a "secret ingredient" from my apple butter and made this wonderful caramel tasting dish. It is wonderful served over ice cream or just eaten like it is. Here is how I made it. I just used one apple, so I am increasing it to two or three - depending on the size of the apple. It would also be good if you wanted to add 1 tsp of vanilla. I didn't do that, so I am just including what I used.

Fried Caramel Apples

Melt 1/2 stick butter in a saute pan. Add 2-3 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and sliced. Add 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tblsp lemon or lime juice. Cook for 5-10 minutes over medium heat until apples are crisp tender (time will vary depending on how thick the slices are). Note: Do not cook them until they are completely tender, because they will continue to cook after removed from heat. Add 1/2 c sugar and stir until all is absorbed. Add 1/2 c pomegranate juice (can use orange juice if you prefer). Stir and cook until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat and transfer to serving dish. Warning: This will be VERY hot. Allow to sit at room temperature 5-10 minutes until cool enough. Test by dipping a spoon into the mixture and then gently touching it with your finger. Serve over ice cream with whipped cream or just eat as a sweet side dish.

No comments: